Re: [dev] [sbase] Defining scope of sbase and ubase

From: Randy Palamar <randy_AT_rnpnr.xyz>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 06:05:48 -0700

Elie Le Vaillant <eolien55_AT_disroot.org> wrote:
> Another idea could be to have both in the same git repository,
> [...]

This would be my idea as well. It also wouldn't be that difficult
to let people pick and choose which sets of tools to include in the
final -box via config.mk or similar. I would stick with only the
high-level sets and leave the omission of individual tools up to
the "user" (I already do this because I prefer a few tools from
OpenBSD even when using Linux).

> Also I'm not sure whether we should keep the goal of being POSIX-compliant.

I also agree with this. POSIX, like everything designed by committees,
is full of bad and/or incomplete ideas. I think that having a set
of tools that isn't GNU/spaghetti but still supports some of the
good non-POSIX options (for example sponge, xargs -P, working tar,
etc.) would be nice to have.

- Randy

--
https://rnpnr.xyz/
GPG Fingerprint: B8F0 CF4C B6E9 415C 1B27 A8C4 C8D2 F782 86DF 2DC5