Re: [dev] [sbase] Defining scope of sbase and ubase

From: Eolien55 <eolien55_AT_disroot.org>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2024 12:10:28 +0100

Mattias Andrée <maandree_AT_kth.se> wrote:
> I think there should be one directory called "portable" containing only tools
> from sbase, and one directory called "linux" containing the tools from ubase
> and maybe even symlinks to the tools in "portable". This structure would allow
> us to add implementations for other operating systems as well. If we add
> symlinks to the tools in "portable" to "linux", each directory could have
> it's own makefile. But I'm not sure this is preferable over a single Makefile
> in the root directory.

This is a great idea! Your mail on the other branch is a great idea too.
I think we should have platform-specific libutil for unportable functions
in ubase's libutil (so, linux/libutil, openbsd/libutil and so on, if we
do actually add implementations for other OSes), and a top-level libutil
too.

This could maybe allow adding platform-agnostic implementations of some utils
(not all because some APIs are so different that it requires full rewrites,
but maybe some, such as clear, stty, tput, or dd maybe).

I will start hacking on it, and will post the git repository for it
when it builds correctly.

I'm not sure how you combine two repositories into one while keeping the
history though.

Regards,
Elie Le Vaillant