[dev] sbase manpages display current date

From: Brandon Pribula <brandon.pribs11_AT_proton.me>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2024 19:33:30 +0000

Hello,

When viewing sbase's man pages the date displayed at the bottom is the current date rather than the date entered in the <program>.1 file.

According to this:

https://mandoc.bsd.lv/mdoc/details/date.html

the traditional man date format used by sbase (.Dd year-month-day) is no longer recommended and no longer supported by GNU troff or Heirloom Docs and as a result the current date is displayed instead.
Although this format is still accepted by mandoc for backward compatibility.

For portability it states the standard mdoc date format should be used instead: .Dd month day, year

After applying this change to cat.1
--- cat.1 2024-09-05 22:43:15.752280069 -0700
+++ cat.1.new 2024-09-05 22:46:27.622262012 -0700
_AT_@ -1,4 +1,4 @@
-.Dd 2015-10-08
+.Dd October 8, 2015
 .Dt CAT 1
 .Os sbase
 .Sh NAME

the date then displayed correctly.

There are 97 man pages in sbase that use the traditional man date format. I was going to create and submit the patches but I wasn't sure if that many patches should be posted to the mailing list or not. Or if it would be a better idea to push the changes
to the sbase git repo but I'm not sure if regular users have permission. If the change to the man pages is acceptable I'm happy to submit the changes in whatever fashion.

Thanks,

Brandon

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.