Re: [dev] [dwm] execwm(), ie, self?

From: Andy Gozas <andy_AT_gozas.me>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2024 11:24:33 +0000

On 2024-09-10 10:32 AM, Jakub Bystron wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 10th, 2024 at 00:51, Steffen Nurpmeso
> <steffen_AT_sdaoden.eu> wrote:
>

>> But, hey, one thing. I go totally insane with how the terminal
>> window is shown in the "fullscreen" layouts. It is so that the st
>> instance has 55 lines and 191 columns here, then, but this does
>> not suffice to be really fullscreen, there is a bit of background
>> visible on the right and the bottom. With cwm, the maximize
>> simply scaled the window no matter what (ie borders aka padding
>> nside then but due to the colour it "would not hurt"). If it
>> would be placed so what the border would be evenly spaced on the
>> left and right (and the top and bottom). But so it is terrible.
>> Is it somehow doable to get around these "holes"? (With bar shown
>> they seem to be evenly "width" at least.)
>> Well i now did "xsetroot -bg black", .. but isn't that a hack.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> --steffen
>
> Blessings that someone mentioned that! :-) I thought it was a lack of
> configuration on my end or that I had patched st too much. Is there a
> quick and easy fix to address these gaps?
>
> Kind regards,
> -- jb

Turn off resize hints [1].

Q: I've got a 1 or 2 pixel gap between the right side of my terminal and
the
    right side of the screen, and I want to turn it off.

A: This is due to the column-based nature of terminals. Terminals don't
just
    insert space somewhere, but tell the WM they can't be resized in a
certain
    way. The terminal can't use the "wasted space" anyway, so this is
purely
    aesthetics.

    You can change `static const int resizehints = 1;` to `0` in
    config.h to turn resizehints off. This wastes the same amount of
space
    inside the terminal window that would otherwise be wasted outside.

[1]: https://dwm.suckless.org/faq/

---
Kind regards,
Andy Gozas <andy_AT_gozas.me>