Re: [dev] [slock] Compile-Time Pluggable Authentication Code (passwd, pam, etc.)

From: Страхиња Радић <sr_AT_strahinja.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2024 14:33:22 +0200

Дана 24/10/04 07:36AM, Sebastian J. Bronner написа:
> Fixed. I had never heard of config.mk before this. A also was not
> able to find any documentation mentioning it anywhere. But I put it
> back the way it seemed to be intended. Can you point me to some
> documentation about config.mk files?

Most is informal, "unwritten tradition", there is not much formal
documentation about the suckless "standards" (specifically related to
setting up the build files) around that I'm aware of, except of course
those few pages:

https://suckless.org/coding_style/
https://suckless.org/hacking/

and some bits here:

https://dwm.suckless.org/customisation/

but everything is deducible from the files of existing suckless.org and
related projects on /0 (dsp, lostd, sin), codemadness.org (hiltjo),
r-36 (20h) etc:

https://git.2f30.org/
https://codemadness.org/git/
https://www.r-36.net/scm/

config.mk is the build "configuration/initialization file" of a
project. It replaces the slow, buggy and often inaccurate Auto*hell's
"automatic detection", with direct manual configuration.

> > and install(1) is a GNU tool, not a POSIX tool.
>
> Fixed.

While it is true that install(1) is not described by POSIX, it also
exists in OpenBSD[1], and its manpage states that it appeared in
4.2BSD. It also is one of the commands in Busybox,[2] so should be
widely available. (I never worked with modern Unix-like MacOS, so I'm
not sure what's the situation there.)

Suckless software does seem to avoid install(1), which I also didn't
notice until now it is brought up. Personally, I'm using it in my own
projects.

[1]: https://man.openbsd.org/install
[2]: https://busybox.net/downloads/BusyBox.html