Re: [dwm] zoom() proposal

From: Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 21:44:30 +0200

On 8/1/06, Jukka Salmi <j+dwm_AT_2006.salmi.ch> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if the currently focused tag has more than two clients and one of the
> clients from the stacking column is zoomed to the master column, all
> clients before that client rotate clockwise. What about swapping the
> selected client with the client from the master column instead? I'd
> prefer this behaviour to avoid moving clients unnecessarily.

I don't think this is a good idea. Not that I can't think of
situations where this would be useful, but the problem I have with
this is that it would sacrifice a (in my eyes) more important feature.
Right now, if you zoom a client to the master tile, and then hit zoom
again (with focus on the master tile, that is), dwm switches the
currently zoomed client with the topmost client from the track. This
means that 'zoom' allows you to quickly switch between 2 clients
(larswm does it this way too, with good reason). I think this feature
is generally more useful/important than the exact order of the clients
in the track (of course one could keep track of the previously
selected client, but that would probably have to be done on a per view
basis, with some fallback for when the previously selected client is
no longer part of the view, which would likely lead to both
unpredictability and ugly code).

Greetings, Sander.