Re: [dwm] dwm-0.6

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 14:23:35 +0200

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 01:42:51PM +0200, Jukka Salmi wrote:
> And the same happens with my patch applied, except that you are not
> forced to have your configuration in config.h: you can put it wherever
> you want and set the CONFIG variable accordingly. Why I like this:
>
> I run dwm on different hosts. Because of various screen sizes,
> keyboards, etc. each of them needs a custom dwm config. One of these
> hosts contains the dwm sources, cloned from 10kloc.org with some local
> changes and additions, amongst others a custom dwm config file for
> each host. These sources are shared between all hosts. My config.mk
> contains
>
> HOST != hostname -s
> CONFIG = config.${HOST}.h
>
> and that's all I need. If one of the config files is modified, config.h
> gets automatically regenerated on the relevant host.

I assume you compile dwm on the specific host? If so, what's the
problem to simply hold the specific config.h file for the
specific host on the host? Then a simple

foreach host:
        cd dwm && hg pull && hg update && sudo make install

would work.

> Are there any drawbacks with the patch?

In your approach you have to edit config.mk to add the HOST line,
with my approach you only place the host-specific config.h to
the specific host and go for it. Without caring if config.mk
changes or not...

Regards,