Re: [dwm] zooming a client by name

From: David Tweed <tweed314_AT_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 15:50:08 +0100 (BST)

--- Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/8/06, David Tweed <tweed314_AT_yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> > There's only one thing that for me is a real
> absence:
> > a way to use the name (as in XWindow title) to
> request
> > a client be focussed. Now, this is undoubtedly
> partly
> > due to me having a lot of editor windows open,
> each
> > containing a separate file. However, I think it
> might
> > be a useful facility for other windows, eg, when
> > you've got multiple terminals open, etc.
>
> I think that would be overkill for dwm; dwm.html
> (10kloc.org/dwm)
> explicitly states, multiple times, that it does
> _not_ have a remote
> control, and with good reason. There's already a
> great tiling wm that
> does provide this feature though, see
> 10kloc.org/wmii ;-)

Just to clarify: I phrased things removing the choice
mechanism form the core just because that seemed
better to fit with the philosophy page (particularly
with the appearance of dmenu). However, the underlying
issue (however it's coded) is that I have too many
windows (over 128 when working on one project) to be
able to hunt thru' them with Mod-J, etc, to find the
one I want. It seems like something that has to be
handled at the window manager level in that

(1) only the X server and the window manager know
about _all_ the windows (even those from non-aware
applications)

(2) even if I find out the titles by some nasty hack
directly interrogating the X server, I still need to
get the window manager to put the XWindow into zoomed
mode.

So, all I'm saying is that this isn't so much about
remote control as it is coming up with some user
interface that is usable when you've got _lots_ of
windows; you may still object you don't want the
facility (whetehr coded entirely within the dwm code
or with only the minimal import/export facilities in
the core) in dwm :-)

cheers, dave tweed