Re: [dwm] zooming a client by name

From: David Tweed <tweed314_AT_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 16:09:24 +0100 (BST)

Hi Anselm,

Thanks for the advice. I'll reread your message in
detail later but just to check...

> > (2) A way to ask dwm to focus a window whose title
> is
> > the same as a given one.
>
> This is the only part, where dwm might provide a way
> to assist.
> EWMH defines the _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW root window
> property, which
> can be set by clients to ask the window manager to
> focus a
> different window. The changes to achieve this look
> marginal to
> me (you need to set this hint when initializing the
> netwm[NetSupported] atom, beside setting the correct
> window id whenever focus() is performed (or
> unmanage())
> to this property.
>
> To enable dwm handling such activation requests you
> need to
> extend propertynotify() which might call view() and
> focus().

Just so I'm clear (you can probably tell I'm not a
hardcore X hacker :-) ):

Entirely outside of dwm, I can retrieve a list of
window titles and XId's directly from the XServer. I
can then send an XEvent with event.xclient.window
set to the XId of the target window, and with
event.xclient.message_type set to _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW.

Then, along with making changes in dwm to make
_NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW recognised by dwm in general, this
would provide a way to acheive what I want.

This sounds good; I hadn't realised you could send
XEvent messages talking about other program's windows
but if you can do that...

cheers, dave tweed

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html