Re: [dwm] on-the-fly tags creation and deletion

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 09:59:01 +0200

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 09:50:13AM +0200, Julian Romero wrote:
> >> #define TAGS \
> >> -const char *tags[] = { "0", "1", "2", "3", "4", NULL };
> >> +char *tags[] = { "0", "1", "2", "3", "4", "5", "6", "7", "8", "9",
> >NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL };
> >
> >I think this tag-interface is quite an ugly hack. What happens
> >if a user creates 15 new tags or more during runtime?
> >
> That's an implementation problem (I'm not very fluent in C) Nothing to
> do with the interface or with the feature itself, doesn't it?

True. However, I don't see the need to define more than a fixed set of
tags. If you get the feeling there are too few tags, add another
one. But I rarely noticed the need to change the amount of tags
during runtime (neither changing the amount of workspaces during
runtime in earlier WMs).

> Anyway, if you look further, when a tag can't be created there is a
> message in the status bar. Nothing crashes ;)

Ah ok, you considered this case...

> I tested my own medicine^H^Hhack and I think I want it. I wrote some
> shell scripts to quickly reshape my tag space depending on the project
> I will work on. First 5 or 6 tags are permanent. Following 5 or 6 ones
> are project dependent (or even state-of-mind dependent)
>
> Now I'll try to write a better implementation (to merge with my sticky
> layout mainly)
> Any help will be welcomed.

ok.

Regards,