Re: [dwm] how to detect activity in non-visible tags

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:15:26 +0200

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 03:04:42PM +0200, Julian Romero wrote:
> On 8/23/06, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org> wrote:
> >If a window shows up tagged with a tag which isn't viewed atm
> >one could consider to highlight such tag in some way (this was
> >done in wmi) but I'm not sure it is worth the effort, because it
> >would lead to several cornercases. I pretty much prefer using
> >apps which provide sane interfaces. The other way makes dwm too
> >complex.
> Hmm...higlighting the tag is too much. I prefer looking only the
> status message (I used it now to alert me about remote services
> crashing, high load and the like) for changes.

Well, if your status refresh is not to fast, you could patch the
dwm source in client.c:manage(), at the end you could add:

        else {
                strcpy(stext, "new client in invisible tag");
                drawstatus();
        }

Then you'd see that message in the status bar until the next
write operation on stdin occures... if a client shows up which
isn't visible.

However this is too crude for the mainstream dwm distribution.