Re: [dwm] placement of tags on titles

From: Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 16:45:27 +0200

On 8/23/06, David Tweed <tweed314_AT_yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Because I tend to have at least several, and often many more than that,
> editor windows open at the same time, I do use the titles quite a bit,
> particularly since the spatial repositioning that occurs upon zooming
> means that spatial memory doesn't help. (This isn't a criticism: by it's
> dynamic nature of tagging spatial memory is going to be of limited use
> anyway.) This is with an editor which deliberately only displays the file
> title via the window manager title bar to avoid wasting space in its
> windows. Obviously if for your usage each window is a visually different
> application the need for titles isn't anywhere near as pressing.

I agree that removing titles from unfocused windows is a bad idea.
With many (different titled) xterms, finding the right one without
titles is going to be a pita. Also, having a title on non-focused
windows is a clear indicator of where the focus currently is (much
clearer anyway than just a different colored 1-pix border).

> | You know your visible windows are tagged as highlighted tags
> | indicates. Knowing it's also on a non selected tag...what's useful
> | for?
>
> I tend to use it primarily to check that I've added additional
> tags to the client I thought I did and not something else. Dunno
> how important this usage is.

As long as adding additional tags is a toggle, I believe this
information is important to have. If Mod1-Shift-Ctrl-2 meant _add_ tag
2 to the selected window, you could just repres that combo when in
doubt about whether or not the selected window bears tag 2. However,
as long as Mod1-Shift-Ctrl-2 means _toggle_ tag 2, there's just no
convenient way to figure out whether or non a client bears tag 2,
other than by messing around with your view. I suspect that anybody
who finds that the tagstatus of clients is not important information,
is not using multi-tagging/viewing very intensively...

Greetings, Sander.