Re: [dwm] how to detect activity in non-visible tags

From: Alexander Polakov <polachok_AT_narod.ru>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 00:30:38 +0400

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 13:30:44 +0200
"Julian Romero" <julian.romero+dwm_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I usually have gaim tagged with a specific tag plus a rule to put it
> in the float layer.
> 80% of the time it's in an invisible tag.
>
> How can I detect that a new client window shows up in this invisible
> tag? The idea is to detect the change and notify it in the status bar.
>
> It seems applications like gaim uses the URGENT hint in such cases.
>
> Any plan to do somethin with this hint? Are there any 3rd party
> software to detect this in a shell script or something?
>
> IM it's not the only situation I've found this issue (but is the
> shorter to explain)
>
> I guess I can add some rule to send this new popup windows to all
> tags, but I don't want windows showing up in my face, just a small
> message in my status bar.
>
> thanks,
> --
> Julián

Talking about IM. I'm using centericq (supports icq, jabber, msn and others), it has possibilities to run
external programs for example on message receive:
polachok_AT_darkstar ~ $ cat ./.centericq/external
%action notify
event msg
proto all
status all
options nowait
%exec
#!/bin/sh
nick="$(cat "${CONTACT_INFODIR}/info" | head -n 46 | tail -n 1)"
echo -n "${EVENT_NETWORK}: $nick " | osdecho
sleep 30

you can tune it to show something in status bar