Re: [dwm] placement of tags on titles

From: Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:19:47 +0200

On 8/24/06, Stefan Tibus <sjti_AT_gmx.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:21:06 +0200 "Sander van Dijk" <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> > Maybe there's a middle road here: add a second color tuple, but remove
> > the bordercolor completely (and use forecolor for the border too).
> > Then you'd have just four colors to define: back- and forecolor for
> > non- and selected items.
>
> Well...those few configuration #defines are surely not the problem
> with the 10kloc limit. As you have to change the colour for drawing
> a frame anyways, why don't keep a seperate #define for this?
> (In my case it will be border-colour = background-colour).
> #defines don't produce more code at all, so why save on them that
> avariciously?

It's not the amount of #define's that bother me, but the amount of
colors to configure. I know that just two extra bordercolors isn't
much, but where do you draw the line? Someone else might want separate
colors for the stdin status thing on the right, or for the titles on
non-focused windows. To me, part of minimalism is keeping the amount
of stuff that you can/have to configure small, leaving only things
that matter 'sufficiently' configurable (I'm well aware that that's
not objectively determinable). For exactly this reason, the removal of
DEFTAG was a good idea, for instance. Dunno if you've ever tried to
configure MS Windows' color/fontscheme, but that's a situation I'd
like to avoid for dwm (in fact, if one could take for granted that
fore- and background color look good and are readable when inverted
too, I would have suggested to just use two colors instead of four).

Greetings, Sander.