Re: [dwm] dwm-1.1 large numbers of clients diff (includes xinerama)

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 15:42:39 +0200

Hi Dave,

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 01:23:00PM +0000, David Tweed wrote:
> Hi, attatched is a patch against dwm-1.1 that I use for large
> numbers of clients (one of my machines is a two monitor
> xinerama setup). It makes the numbers of and types of
> columns fully dynamic, in particular allowing more than two
> columns which is very useful for the widescreen display.
>
> I also finally got irritated enough to figure out how to set
> widths so that with a two monitor setup columns don't get
> placed across the monitor split. This is configured via a
> #define in config.h so anyone interested can use the same
> basic codebase on both xinerama and normal setups. One
> disadvantage is that I've temporarily removed the "wrap around
> so zoomed column is towards middle of display" whilst I figure
> out a nice way to do; it borders on irritating to have the
> main column you're working on always on the left.
>
> As before, very brief documentation is in file called
> patchDoc.txt that gets created in main dir.

Nice.

> Hi, Anselm: both tag(Arg *arg) and toggletag(Arg *arg) both
> end with a common section that I've made into a function in
> this patch (although I didn't change either tag or toggletag
> to minimise churn):

> void
> processmodifiedtagging(void)
> {
> settitle(sel);
> if(!isvisible(sel))
> arrange(NULL);
> else
> drawstatus();
> }
>
> This deals with drawing/layout updates when some other logic
> has changed the tags. It would be helpful for at least my
> patches if this (maybe renamed) was in mainstream dwm. Dunno
> if it actually reduces lines of code purely wrt mainstream dwm
> though.

Lemme decide after dwm-1.2. I actually like your idea about
handling Xinerama, and I'd like to consider applying a lite
version of your Xinerama patch to the mainstream distribution
after dwm-1.2, though I'm not sure about the details yet. I'll
need to check this first in a multihead setup.

Regards,