Re: [dwm] improve config.mk

From: Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 19:31:35 +0200

On 9/6/06, Ville Koskinen <vrkosk_AT_utu.fi> wrote:
> Sssh. He's a Gentoo user. Don't upset him.
>
> Okay, sorry. Seriously, I don't quite understand how you can configure
> dwm with Portage. Do you make all the config.h defines as USE
> variables? Wouldn't that be *more* difficult than simply editing the
> source?

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. dwm was intended to be configured at
the source level. At some point, config.h came in to make changing the
most common things easier (in early versions you had to grep for
CUSTOMIZE to find the relevant parts in the sources). Wrapping that
simple build system in something larger actually makes things harder,
rather than simpler, I think (like I said, binary distro's are another
story).
Besides that, the patch seem incomplete: taking the location of libs
and includes for granted is probably not wise...
Because the current config.mk is quite optimal for "normal" (manual)
builds, I'd personally like to keep it the way it is, and just add an
awk or sed script to the ebuild to (re)create config.mk at build time
with whatever settings necessary.

Gr. Sander.