Re: [dwm] remembering client order in each tag

From: Anthony Brown <agabrown_AT_xs4all.nl>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 19:51:36 +0200

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 07:20:00PM +0200, Sander van Dijk wrote:
> On 9/6/06, Anthony Brown <agabrown_AT_xs4all.nl> wrote:
> >Apologies if I'm annoying but I made sure I'm running dwm-1.4 and I
> >still see that the z-ordering is not preserved (for overlapping windows
> >in float mode). The z ordering is lost when changing from one tag to
> >another and back.
>
> Actually, 1.4 does preserve z-ordering when switching between tags
> (which was, reading the code, to be expected).
> What is doesn't do (and quite likely shouldn't either, considering the
> combinatorial explosion that would give) is remember where the focus
> was. When the selected client leaves the view (for instance when
> switching to a tagview that the selected client isn't part of), dwm
> focuses and raises the first client in the list that is part the new
> view. Hence, the "last started" client will be topmost.
> You'll notice however that for all the other clients, z-ordering _is_
> preserved. Since remembering where the focus last was for all possible
> combinations of tagviews is not very feasible, I think this is
> something we'll just have to accept...
>
> Greetings, Sander.

The behaviour for the latest changeset (442) is, as I described before,
basically they way I would expect (i.e. like) things to behave. I have
now also verified that z-ordering for clients with a certain tag is also
preserved after doing a view-all and switching back to viewing a single
tag. The only slight problem remaining is the mod-tab behaviour. However
this is only a minor irritant.

The reason I like to have the z-order preservation is for working with
floating clients that overlap. This happens for example when I work with
an editor in combination with a graphing programme. It is no good to
have plot windows managed in tiled mode as they should be of a certain
size and shape to make the graphics readable. At the same time they may
overlap with the editor and loosing the z-ordering when temporarily
switching to xterms with a different tag becomes annoying after a while.

In any case, thanks again for all the rapid responses to my inquiries!

cheers,
Anthony