Re: [dwm] remembering client order in each tag

From: Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 11:29:34 +0200

On 9/7/06, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org> wrote:
> > This is almost okay, especially when you have more than two clients.
> > However, with only two clients that overlap (say the editor and plot
> > window I mentioned before) this can be annoying.
> >
> > However, I am not going to insist on fixing this.
>
> I see what you notice. I'll think further about it. I believe
> there must be a solution which is not coincident.

You're still fixing it in the wrong place. The order of clients in the
clientlist has nothing to do with z-ordering. When dwm switches to a
view that doesn't contain the previously focused client, it
(arrange(), to be specific) focuses and raises a new client. That's
correct behavior, but what's currently suboptimal is it's client
picking policy. Right now, it just picks the first visible client in
clients. What it should do instead is:

a: pick the first tiled client (= mastertile) if there is one.
b: pick the topmost in z-order client (which makes more sense than
picking the first one in the clientlist in floating mode anyway) if
there is one.
c: else focus the root-window.

Believe me, if you revert to 1.4 and change dotile/dofloat to do what
I just described, everything will work like a charm, and it will be
conceptually more correct than the way things are now.

Greetings, Sander.