Re: [dwm] improve config.mk

From: Ricardo Martins <meqif_AT_swearing-ape.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 10:58:40 +0100

On 01:10 Thu 07 Sep , Cedric Krier wrote:
> On 06/09/06 22:58 +0100, Ricardo Martins wrote:
> > On 23:33 Wed 06 Sep , Cedric Krier wrote:
> > >
> > > So if you look at the ebuild, you will see that you can setup a
> > > config.h.
> > > The patch allow just to specify some compilation option.
> >
> > Sorry, I must have missed that bit of your message (that happens when
> > I'm trying to pay attention to more than a few things).
> >
> > However, that doesn't prevent the user from being unable to compile
> > due to new/changed options in dwm which require changes to config.h.
> > Perhaps you could add some kind of check for custom configs, or
> > presenting a diff between the installed config.default.h and the new,
> > to-be-installed config.default.h ?
> >

> Yes of course, but since I begin with this ebuild, there was major
> change in config.h

Changes which you were aware of, because you were following dwm's
development closely (I assume so, correct me if I'm wrong).

My point is, not everyone knows what changed in config.h between
updates unless their compilation is unsuccessful and they have to
decompress dwm-whateverversion.tar.gz and diff their config file and
the default (or Anselm's) manually, which is a rather tedious job -- they
could have done that manually in the first place and avoided portage.
It'd be good if this was done by the ebuild.

Again, I'm sorry if I sounded too harsh. I'm trying to help you create
an appropriate ebuild for dwm, since it is one of the few programs
available out there that uses this system. I don't think Portage is
ready to deal with it elegantly.

Regards,

--
 Ricardo Martins  ><><  www.swearing-ape.net  ><><  GPG key: 3B818E27