Re: [dwm] improve config.mk

From: Ricardo Martins <meqif_AT_swearing-ape.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 11:56:21 +0100

On 12:11 Thu 07 Sep , Cedric Krier wrote:
> On 07/09/06 10:58 +0100, Ricardo Martins wrote:
> >
> > Changes which you were aware of, because you were following dwm's
> > development closely (I assume so, correct me if I'm wrong).
> >
> > My point is, not everyone knows what changed in config.h between
> > updates unless their compilation is unsuccessful and they have to
> > decompress dwm-whateverversion.tar.gz and diff their config file and
> > the default (or Anselm's) manually, which is a rather tedious job -- they
> > could have done that manually in the first place and avoided portage.
> > It'd be good if this was done by the ebuild.
> >
> > Again, I'm sorry if I sounded too harsh. I'm trying to help you create
> > an appropriate ebuild for dwm, since it is one of the few programs
> > available out there that uses this system. I don't think Portage is
> > ready to deal with it elegantly.
> >

> The way, I do when I update dwm with portage :
>
> I compile the new version which copy in /etc/portage/savedconfig the
> default config.h.
> I edit it to match my pref.
> I recompile dwm with portage.
>
> ( it looks like busybox's ebuild )
>
> I'm thinking about a way to have the config.h with compiling but the
> compilation is not very long.

The way I see it, that is just a workaround, and only works very well
for a minimally to moderately customised config.h. What if your changes
to savedconfig are not trivial? Being lazy, I think it is easier to just
do a little change to one's old and proved custom config.h than changing
a new config.h to be adequated to what one had before. That's only my
opinion.

One thing I don't understand clearly is in which conditions config.default.h
is copied to /etc/portage/savedconfig (I advise against this location,
/etc/dwm_config would be clearer). Is it copied whenever dwm is emerged
(probably not, since it would overwrite your changes), or only when
/etc/portage/savedconfig doesn't exist?
In the latter case, the issue I talked about arises, since a deprecated
config is being used, which results in a compile error.

Regards,

--
 Ricardo Martins  ><><  www.swearing-ape.net  ><><  GPG key: 3B818E27