Re: OT: How does dwm appear to non-users? (was Re: [dwm] improve config.mk)

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 18:45:08 +0200

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 01:45:15PM +0300, Ville Koskinen wrote:
> 1) Old Amiga and Mac users, who like eye-candy, but also like a
> functional desktop.
> 2) Old Windows users who like the Windows paradigm.
> 3) Old Unix users (mainly Linux but some OpenBSD).
>
> If I showed dwm to the people in group 1, the response I would get
> would be "Oh, neat. I like the idea, but does it have to look that
> ugly?"

I believe, if you use transparent terminals (best without any
shading and a very bright or dark wallpaper) and a nice color
scheme, a cool font, the minimalist but clear design will beat any
KDE/Gnome/OSX desktop, because the user can concentrate on real
work without abandon any eye-candy. And the terminal will behave
much faster (due to suppressing any shading) that they will calm
down. Also, if they think the way you told, they have no taste ;)

The 1px decoration is a feature actually and its design is quite
timeless... window decorations of Win2k, MacOS 9 or MotifWM, or
CDE, look totally old-fashioned nowadays. Borders consisting of
1px won't be look old-fashioned in 10 years, because it depends
on the clients you use ;)
That's a killer argument.

Regards,