[dwm] maximization handling

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:31:16 +0200

Hi there,

after using dwm for a while, I agree that Mod1-m is somewhat
disappointing and often results in ugly side-effects (e.g.
running firefox maximized, downloading a file and the download
window appears - or in general if a popup occures on a maximized
window).

I thought a while about it and realized that we only need
maximize in floating mode and for floating clients, because
there is no simple way to maximize floating clients (except
heavy mouse usage). For tiled clients one can toggletag a window
with 'fnord' and view that tag.

Well, with this in mind, I propose changing togglemax as
follows:

1. togglemax should be client-specific, which means adding a
   'unmax' XRectangle to Client-struct which is used to restore
   the unmaximized size on togglemax().
2. togglemax has only effect on floating clients - or in floating
   mode, it is unly toggled by request and never automatically
   (this avoids all ugly side-effects).

I believe the code might get simplier as well. If someone needs
to maximize a tiled client, there are two ways:

A) toggle to floating mode and togglemax

OR

B) toggle/tag a specific 'max' tag and view that tag instead

Any remarks?

Regards,