Re: Re: [dwm] dwm-1.7.1

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 17:12:54 +0200

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 03:52:26PM +0200, Tube wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 05:29:34PM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> > > http://www.shortest.de/download/dwm-1.7.1.tar.gz
> > I forgot to mention that wide layout patch for dwm-1.7 applies
> > to this release as well, though untested.
> hi anselm, won't you merge that patch into the source base?

No.

At least not like it is at the moment. I also realize that
sometimes the wide layout patch might be of use. But i have
something different in mind. I consider to allow moving the
stack around on the fly. This means:

default (stack in the right):

        MMMMSS
        MMMMSS
        MMMMSS

stack at the bottom:

        MMMMMM
        MMMMMM
        SSSSSS

stack at the left:

        SSMMMM
        SSMMMM
        SSMMMM

stack at the top:

        SSSSSS
        MMMMMM
        MMMMMM

To allow different stack arrangements I consider furthermore to
influence the stacking direction. In the following setup:

        MMMMMMMMMMMM
        MMMMMMMMMMMM
        MMMMMMMMMMMM
        MMMMMMMMMMMM
        111122223333
        111122223333
        111122223333

(horizontal stacking direction)

        MMMMMMMMMMMM
        MMMMMMMMMMMM
        MMMMMMMMMMMM
        MMMMMMMMMMMM
        111111111111
        222222222222
        333333333333

(vertical stacking direction)

        MMMMMMMMMMMM 111222333444
        MMMMMMMMMMMM 111222333444
        MMMMMMMMMMMM 111222333444
        MMMMMMMMMMMM 111222333444

(this could be used in a multihead setup)

This feature would also scale with dual-head setups in both
directions easily and if someone rotates the display (though dwm
don't needs to support XRandR because restarting it after
rotation should suffice).

My proposal would add two shortcuts, one for moving the stack
around and one for toggling the stack direction. And it would
lead to a lean algorithm which basically has two parameters
(stack position and stack direction).

Dunno if this is a good idea at all, though.

Regards,