Re: [dwm] new stacking options

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 15:06:15 +0200

On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 02:49:19PM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> Current hg tip contains a reworked dotile() - I think I'll
> simplify some parts of it, but it should work in all scenarios.
>
> config.h contains two new options:
>
> #define STACKPOS StackRight /* StackLeft */
> #define VERTICALSTACK True /* False == horizontal stack */
>
> The stackpos is for the scenario in dualhead setups I described
> in a different mail.
>
> There are two new shortcuts as well:
>
> Mod1-b toggles between stack position (wether bottom or at the side)
> Mod1-d toggles the direction the stacked clients are arranged.
>
> This results in following scenarios (I didn't took a shot of the
> scenario when compiling dwm with StackLeft, but it looks the
> same in a mirrored case).
>
> http://10kloc.org/shots/dwm-20060926-0.png (stack at bottom with horizontal direction)
> http://10kloc.org/shots/dwm-20060926-1.png (stack at bottom with vertical direction)
> http://10kloc.org/shots/dwm-20060926-2.png (stack at right with vertical direction)
> http://10kloc.org/shots/dwm-20060926-3.png (stack at right with horizontal direction)

Nah, forget what I wrote, I removed the Mod1-d stuff, this
scales too poorly. I think the wide-layout patch is not so bad,
thus current tip supports basically what wide-layout does (due
to toggling the stack position between side and bottom).

This feels better and simplier.

Due to testing these things I noticed that there is a serious
bug in restack (it might have been there for quite a while). If
one runs dozens of clients and the dotile() algorithm enters the
fallback mode, the clients which are maximized in the stack area
might be lower than the visible one. This is because the
selected tiled window is not the top-level tiled window. I'm
going to fix this annoyance.

Regards,