Re: [dwm] some useful changes

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 14:06:10 +0100

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 01:55:40PM +0100, Enno Gottox Boland wrote:
> I think this change make the whole configuration more weird. I never
> used more than one function per key.

Well changing a struct means some editing work on config.h in
this case. However, the difference is marginal:

Old:
zoom

New:
{zoom}

That's all already if you don't plan to execute a sequence when
pressing a shortcut.

> And as far as I can see, if I change the value of NFUNCS, I have to
> change every single line of my keydefs. Nobody uses more than 3
> keydefs which could use this feature.

No, you don't need to change, if you define NFUNCS 5, you can
keep {zoom}, the compiler is smart enough that it NULL's the
rest of the struct.

> What is wrong about multiplexer functions for a few functions? They
> are easy to implement, easy to read, and easy to understand. Imho they
> are self-explaining. I think even users can add them in 2 min.

The point is, that you don't need to implement a multiplexer
function for such a trivial thing (I haven't seen a multiplexer
which does 3 things in a sequence, but there were some which did
2 things). And the effort for maintaining multiplexer functions
is higher than touching config.h once and stick with it.

Also, this results in patches which are patches actually, and not
only such a sequence function.

Regards,

--
 Anselm R. Garbe >< http://suckless.org/~arg/ >< GPG key: 0D73F361