Re: [dwm] tag-used indicator dots

From: Karl. <kmw1_AT_free.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 00:26:32 +1300

On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 10:24:02AM +0100, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 10:17:02AM +0100, Sander van Dijk wrote:
> > On 12/1/06, Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> > >That probably looks even better yes.
> >
> > The line thickness should probably be proportional to the fontsize
> > (like the dotsize is) to make it scale well though...
>
> Here we go what hg tip contains:
>
> http://www.suckless.org/shots/proposal_hgtip.png
>
> I think 1px border is fully sufficient, look at the shot, this
> is hg tip now.

I find it too cluttered - the tag display before tag-used-indicators
came along was almost perfect - very clean and informative. Now it has
gone too far in the eye-candy direction, in my opinion. Pretty, but it
detracts from function.

What about a plain over-bar for tag-used? Better than my original
thought of an underline, in that the underline tends to blend with the
border, but an overbar stands out against the screen-edge.

Mostly I don't care a lot about tag-used indicators - they're just
sometimes-useful instead of continually-useful. For the bulk of the
time, I don't care whether a non-selected tag is used or not - I just
want a subtle confirmation of whether a non-visible window has closed or
opened yet. What I mean to say is that I do like having them, but I
want them to be subtle. :-)

Karl.