Re: [dwm] dmenu navigation with a lot of items.

From: Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 09:17:42 +0100

On 12/12/06, Christian Garbs <mitch_AT_cgarbs.de> wrote:
> Hmm. I don't really understand how the 'pita' is changed with
> paged scrolling:
>
> Either I know where in the list of 1000 items I want to look (if I
> know that, I can type at least the first character) or I don't - in
> which case I have to scroll through all 1000 items. Although the
> scrolling might be faster with the patch, I still think it is as much
> pita as before because I have to look at the same amount of items as
> before.

Depends on what you use dmenu for. If you use it solely for selecting
items from an alphabetically sorted list, home/end and pageup/down may
not add much (although they will still speed up browsing quite a bit),
but dmenu's use is not limited to that. Let's say I want to feed dmenu
a list of recently changed files, and edit the selected one. In this
case, "time of last change" may very well be a better sorting criteria
than the alphabet. In this case, the filter isn't going to be of much
use, and if I want to scroll to halfway the list I'd rather do that
with pagedown than with right.
The main point I'm trying to make is that the filter is (very) useful,
but only under certain conditions, and I'd like to see a more generic
solution for quick browsing through a list.

Greetings, Sander.