Re: [dwm] program notification

From: Julian Romero <dwm_AT_mad.mw>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 14:27:01 +0100

On 2/5/07, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 10:31:04AM +0100, Antoni Grzymala wrote:
> > What jabber client are you using?
>
> Actually none, I don't understand why anyone uses jabber at all.
>

> Are you against IM in general or only against jabber? I guess you are an
old-school IRC user.

I switch multiprotocol-IM-client every few weeks and I'm still waiting for
the perfect one. I have used gaim, kde-ones, gnome-ones, centericq,
bitlbeed...and a lot more. Lately I'm playing with python based gajim
(jabber only)

For status bar notifications I recommend any inotify based monitor (can be
used to detect any filesystem change: new messages in your inbox, new log
messages in your IM directory...) It's the best in terms of resource
consumption (but require a modern kernel).

If I had the time I'll add a mini-icon space on the top-right corner and the
possibility to change it with a special text-command...as a patch, of
course. I suppose this can be done with a external tool, xsetbg? some OSD
library?

bye,

--
Julián