[dwm] window manager design for embedded systems

From: pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 00:42:43 +0100

I've been thinking about usability designs for a wimp-free window
manager for embedded devices like mobiles, pda's or tablet pcs.

I would like to be able to use something similar to dwm or wmii
on such devices, but they're not designed for touch screens or
pointer use. And of course, not for small screens.

Nowadays the most wm used for embedded devices is 'matchbox'. On
the maemo platform is used as a fullscreen wm, but it does not
provides any window switching method. So all applications must be
modified to be registered by the maemo. That's almost innecessary
and bloated design.

I think that having such environments on embedded devices forces
the creation of more satelite applications (like floating keyboard,
dmenu adapted for touchscreens...) So, I understand that current
projects are ok for desktops, but don't know if would be good to
insert this changes into the current projects or create some new
ones. (I prefer create new ones).

So, back to the design.. What an embedded device user needs is:

- most of windows in fullscreen
- a way to switch between applications
- group windows by application (not necessary at all)
- menu for launching applications

What would be really cool to have is a way to split the view to
view 1, 2 or 3 applications in stack, this way you can switch
fastly between the last applications (alt+click = zoom/unzoom
for example). Or just as tabbed windows on statusbar.

The window switcher can be implemented as an scrollable vertical
combobox (like dmenu, but in vertical), and program launcher can
be implemented in a similar way. (maybe adding nested dmenu's for
categories/applications)

Some concept-ascii-mockups of my ideas O:)

status bar + fullscreen window

[w]------[date]-.
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
|_______________|

splitted window

[w]------[date]-.
| |
| mail app |
| |
|_______________|
| $ shell |
|_______________|

vertical dmenu: (click arrow to scroll)

[w]------[date]-.

I'm just throwing ideas, but I would like to know your opinions
about this.

Thanks

  --pancake