Re: [dwm] problem with dmenu3.1

From: Marek Bernat <marek.bernat_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 21:28:47 +0200

On 5/23/07, Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> That's how it used to be, and I do believe that represents the
> original UNIX spirit (do one thing, and do that right) much better
> than the way it is in UNIX-like systems today. To me, conceptual
> simplicity is much more important than performance gains through what
> I percieve to be "speedhacks".

Testing inside the language isn't a speed hack.
How many languages have you seen that would call external program to test
logic? None. Because it's stupid.

On the other hand kill, echo and other programs like this should of course
be outside the shell.
But I believe this is not about UNIX philosophy, but about designing a clean
and effective language (even a shell) and keeping everything that is not a
part of the language itself in external libraries/programs.