Re: [dwm] problem with dmenu3.1

From: Marek Bernat <marek.bernat_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 23:01:11 +0200

On 5/23/07, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org> wrote:

> No it's not stupid, because this way as external program, you
> can use many other logical/arithmetic external tools for
> checking a condition. Actually, the argument to if or elif is a
> condition and not an expression, and a condition is wether true
> or false. It has been wise by the UNIX inventors to not include
> test into the shell.

I am not saying that getting result value from external program is stupid.
That is a good idea.
What I do say is that not implementing basic logic/arithmetic (and maybe
string; this is depends on how strings are handled in the core language)
tests in a language is stupid. How would you like it to do all logic in C
through execv? Sound good to you?

Sorry for the OT discussion, but I want to finish this to see if there is
some reasoning behind not handling logic inside the language.
Or whether it is just a design flaw, as I do believe, that has been fixed in
the modern shells...