Re: [dwm] OT: X11 sniffer

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 16:19:22 +0200

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 04:09:09PM +0200, pancake wrote:
> I am looking for an X11 protocol sniffer or something similar, I know that
> there is an X11 proxy, but needs to translate all the queries to a plain
> text format or so.
>
> I want to debug some apps to try to find which calls they do against the
> server. an LD_PRELOAD is not suitable probably.

I think the best way might be an Xlib-Wrapper, which writes a
log and is linked to the real Xlib. So by changing ldconfig you
could let those apps report any Xlib call first into your log,
before they are handled to the real Xlib. Dunno if such beast
exists.

Alternatively you could sniff the raw connections using tcp
duplicators when running the X server in tcp mode.
But I'm not sure such raw dumps might be of much use, since you
will need a low level X protocol analyzer. I'd favorize the
Xlib-Wrapper, and I bet there exists something like that
already.

Regards,