Re: [dwm] Monocle patch for dwm-4.2

From: Anydot <dfenze_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 01:22:58 +0200

On (03/06/07 00:58), Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> >sort of Inteligent Restack (TM) :DD but hey, this will render monocle()
> yes probably restack should be rethinked because sometimes it is
> called unnecessaryly in lt->arrange() (togglebar, inc(n)master(w),
> zoom, configurenotify, ..).

good to see that i'm not only one who thinked about it :)

> >restackfocused()
> >{
> > XEvent ev;
> >
> > drawstatus(); /* Maybe not needed? */
> > if(!sel)
> > return;
> > if(sel->isfloating || lt->arrange == floating)
> > XRaiseWindow(dpy, sel->win);
> > else
> > XLowerWindow(dpy, sel->win);
> > XSync(dpy, False);
> > while(XCheckMaskEvent(dpy, EnterWindowMask, &ev));
> >}
> it looks ok, but if the focused tiled window is lowered then that's
> still not good for monocle (or fullscreen as it's called in my src)
> may be XRestackWindows[1] can be used to place the tiled window
> exactly where we want (below the floating layer but on top of the
> tiled windows)

yeah, you are right. I write it quickly, it is sort of democode to clear
the idea, and to start (imho) good discusion on it.

> or we can call a full restack when a tiled window appears and do
> nothing with it in restackfocused()
> well it still needs some thinking (it would be easier if the X window
> stack could be manipulated more straightforwardly)
>
> [1]: http://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/window/XRestackWindows.html

hm, with XRestackWindows we will get bunch of problems and it will bloat
code as there must be then malloc-ed memory and then filled with
windows from snext linked list in right order.

All we need is some form of "layers" on for raising up floating windows
while second for raising up !floating windows. Is there something like
this in Xlib?

--
Premysl "Anydot" Hruby >> http://na.srck.net <<