Re: [dwm] OT: software follows the inverse of Moore's law

From: Jonas Pfenniger <zimbatm_AT_oree.ch>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 12:38:58 +0200

2007/6/6, Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl>:

> Still, I don't think I'm running much bloatware (or is the linux kernel
> bloated?) and for reasons unexplained my computer still boots a hefty
> number of seconds. The X subsystem loads and loads, the LCD get black,
> grey, blanked, turned off, turned on, then I can see the default X
> background... Terrible.

Yes it is, if you compare it to an OS that is crafted for a custom arch. The
old computers didn't had all the layers needed to be compatible between lots
and lots of hardware. They could bitwise optimize the OS to squeeze all the
performance out of the hardware. So you have two points here : abstraction
and who does the soft/hard. IMHO the synergy between the hardware and
software producers could also be improved a lot.

--
Cheers,
  zimbatm