Re: [dwm] {V,H}RATIO

From: pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 14:19:50 +0200

> Well I currently think about shortcuts to the desired
> functionality. Currently we have inchratio() bound to
> Mod1-{h,l}, and Mod1-{j,k} for up/down navigation. This feels
> convenient, even if it breaks consistency. Besides this, there
> is Mod1-Shift-{j,k} for dec-/incrementing nmaster.

Nice feature! i've not tested yet.

tomorrow i've 20h of travel , so i'll have time during the fly :)

but the idea looks good and seems simple, interesting and useful.

> However, with dwm-4.4 we will have the vertical ratio as well,
> and I believe it is a better idea to have two distinct
> functions.
>
> Hence, I propose the following:
> Mod1-Shift-{h,l} -> inchratio() inc dec
> Mod1-Shift-{j,k} -> incvratio() inc dec

This configuration colides with the inc/dec nmaster keybindings

The mod1-shift-{h,l} keys i use them to inc/dec hratio in a bigger
proportion than mod1-{h,l}, but this is ok. i can live without them,
or i'll think another keys for this.

> I tested this proposal for a couple of minutes and it doesn't
> feels bad, at least not worse than before. I also think that
> changing the ratio is usually a rare operation.
>
> Any complains?

/me waiting for the 4.4 release :)

--pancake