Re: [dwm] Update: bottomstack patch for latest 4.4 tip

From: James Turner <james_AT_bsdgroup.org>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 08:42:47 -0400

On Sun, Aug 12, 2007 at 12:53:46PM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 08:09:54PM -0400, James Turner wrote:
> > Well the zoom function seems to work, but increasing the master area
> > does not. I changed part of the incmaster function within tile.c to
> > if(lt->arrange == floating) return; but I still can't increase the
> > master in the bottom stack layout mode. Any ideas?
>

> Well I decided against making master global. I pushed a
> changeset recently with following decisions:
>
> MASTER is renamed to MWFACT (master width factor) - which is
> more precise.
>
> master in tile.c is renamed to mwfact, incmaster is renamed to
> addtomwfact - which is also more precise.
>
> So this change also points out, that your bstack patch should
> contain something like MHFACT (master height factor) as counter
> part. Except of zoom(), which you can re-use from tile, I
> propose you clone the addtomwfact() behavior as follows for
> bstack:
>

> /* static */
>
> static double mhfact = MHFACT;
>
> /* extern */
>
> void
> addtomhfact(const char *arg) {
> double delta;
>
> if(lt->arrange != bstack)
> return;
>
> /* arg handling, manipulate mhfact */
> if(arg && (1 == sscanf(arg, "%lf", &delta))) {
> if(delta + mhfact > 0.1 && delta + mhfact < 0.9)
> mhfact += delta;
> }
> lt->arrange();
> }
>

> And in config.h you add something like this (besides cloning
> MHFACT similiar to MWFACT):
>

> { MODKEY, XK_h, addtomwfact, "-0.05" }, \
> { MODKEY, XK_l, addtomhfact, "0.05" } , \
> { MODKEY, XK_h, addtomwfact, "-0.05" }, \
> { MODKEY, XK_l, addtomhfact, "0.05" } , \
>

> This is somewhat cumbersome for bstack, but the only other
> option would be to design bstack as patch to tile.c.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Anselm R. Garbe >< http://www.suckless.org/ >< GPG key: 0D73F361

Because of the nature of bstack, would it make more sense to just patch
tile.c rather than make it it's own layout and clone the addtowfact
function? Since changes are still happening I would like to take this
time to make sure the patch is done the so called "correct" way.
Thanks.

--
James Turner
BSD Group Consulting