Re: [dwm] new floating windows

From: Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 13:56:33 +0200

On 8/25/07, y i y u s <yiyu.jgl_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> There are other two posible solutions: you can allow togglefloat when
> in floating mode (just removing one check)

That's what I suggested.

> , or the new windows can be
> floating by default.

Dwm is a tiling window manager. If you want floating by default, than
make dwm startup in floating mode by default. If you think that having
to toggle each individual window to tiling mode after starting it,
using a more conventional wm is probably a better idea.

> I don't see the inconsistence you tell, it does work like tags: If you
> have rules, they are applied, else the current tag are applied (in the
> same way that floating is applied if you set it in rules or else the
> current mode is applied).

Yes and no. The global modes don't work like tags, the individual
override does (sort of). Global modes are supposed to affect all
clients that don't have this override set, which is basically all
non-sucky apps (ok ok, there are also non-sucky apps that are better
used floating...). With what you suggested, you could start an app in
floating mode, and then when switching to tiled mode, it would still
be floating. Comparing this with tags, this would mean that if my app
has tag 1, and I apply tag 2, it would still have tag 1 and not tag 2.
Looks not like what I want.

> Anyway, for me it is ok if togglefloating is
> allowed in floating mode, and it could be more consistent as you tell.
> I just want a solution.

Well, then I guess we can end this discussion, because we basically agree :-)

Greetings, Sander.