Re: [dwm] column layout revival?

From: Kai Grossjohann <kai_AT_emptydomain.de>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 11:08:28 +0200

On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 10:34:21PM -0400, voltaic wrote:

> To me DWM means a window manager that does its job and actually manages my
> windows for me. I have to do as little managing as possible.
> This also means that DWM is completely predictable. Since there is no
> hierarchy other than master/stacked, I know what will happen when I spawn a
> new client or add another tag to my current view.

Well, the windows have an order. At which position in the order will
the new windows be inserted?

> And I don't think a simple layout for DWM will accomplish what Anselm is
> suggesting. Moving clients around in the column goes hand in hand with state
> preservation: One feature would be useless without the other.

I imagine that one doesn't need much more than the order of windows to
maintain a column layout. The only additional bit of state I can think
of is the number of windows in each column, which is similar to nmaster:
nmaster applies to the master column only, and the column layout might
need one value for each column except the last.

The order of windows in a column would be determined by the global order
of windows, which is already maintained as state by dwm.

Kai