Re: [dwm] [patch] Rectangle Window Manager

From: Alpt <alpt_AT_freaknet.org>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 13:46:55 +0200

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 08:51:28AM +0200, <Anselm R. Garbe>:
~> On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 01:51:00AM +0200, Alpt wrote:
~> > Screenshot:
~> > http://www.freaknet.org/alpt/src/patches/rwm/screenshot-rwm-small.jpg
~>
~> Looks to me like the grid() layout function which has been
~> announced on this list as well. Also such layout function was
~> included in wmii-2 some years ago...

Yep, they are very similar. Their base idea is the same, but not the
implemented algorithms. As consequence, in rwm there won't be ever an empty
space left. However, grid can handle in an easier way the deleted windows.
(right now, in rwm, when a window is deleted, all the other windows are
re-ordered in a pseudo-random manner which depends on the clients history.
To preserve order, it is necessary to mantain a tree. This code is missing
(since it wasn't useful for sucast)).

~> In my opinion the grid layout has only use for very rare cases
~> (e.g. if you use a tag in a statically sense for remote
~> terminals only to track status info).

Yes, in fact, it was coded simply for fun and for sucast (
http://freaknet.org/alpt/src/misc/sucast/readme )

However, an idea would be to use it while cycling in the focus stack (Alt+j).
During the cycling, the windows are "rectangolised", then when Alt is released
they return to the previous state.

Just sharing the code.

Regards.

--
:wq!
"I don't know nothing" The One Who reached the Thinking Matter   '.'