Re: [dwm] Console Music poll: cmus/moc/mpd

From: Jeremy O'Brien <obrien654j_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 09:06:40 -0400

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 09:02:20PM -0400, Ross Palmer Mohn wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 08:55:10PM -0400, Jeremy O'Brien wrote:
> > >
> > > I use cmus; it's fairly light, doesn't require a daemon, and has
> > > a good tree view. It also has vi-like bindings and UTF-8
> > > support, which may mean something to some people.
> > >
> > > --spaceinvader
> >
> > I tried the whole ncmpc/mpd setup, and moc, and mp3blaster. I've settled
> > on cmus because of its superior playlist support (If you clear a
> > playlist it continues playing. Mpd stops...), quick searching, and
> > lightning-fast library updating. And of course I get dwm status bar
> > output and keyboard bindings for everything on it ;)
>
> What's your status bar output look like (script &/or screenshot)?
> Thanks! -RPM

I'll go with the & ;)

Here's a screenshot: http://pohl.ececs.uc.edu/~jeremy/cmus.png

I use a slightly changed script that comes with cmus called
cmus-status-display. Here it is:
http://pohl.ececs.uc.edu/~jeremy/cmus-status-display

The instructions for using it (very simple) are in the file itself.
Before I send the status off to the status bar, I filter it to prevent
ridiculously long lines from taking over my status bar, by doing this:
`tail -n 1 /tmp/cmus-status |tail -c 50` (This can be seen in my
xinitrc, posted earlier)

Feel free to ask any questions. :) I love sharing desktop ideas.
Everyone's environment is their own, and it's nice to see what kind of
setups other people use. I love the freedom of open source software.

--
 Jeremy O'Brien aka neutral_insomniac
 GPG key: 0xB1140FDB http://pohl.ececs.uc.edu/~jeremy/jeremy.asc