Re: [dwm] key bindings / french layout

From: Xavier <shiningxc_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 22:08:53 +0200

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 09:57:28PM +0200, Adrien Barilly wrote:
> You might also want to map the 'Multi_key' to a key of your keyboard (in
> my case, RAlt, keycode 113); this would make the key a 'dead key': press
> it, press the modifier and finally press the letter. Alright, that makes
> 3 keys for one character; but it allows you to make a lot of other
> characters.
>
> Examples:
> Multi_key + ' + e = é
> Multi_key + ` + e = è
> Multi_key + , + c = ç
> but also
> Multi_key + c + c = č
> Multi_key + o + u = ů
> Multi_key + ~ + n = ñ
> Multi_key + c + t = ť
> or almost anything you can think of (useful if you want to write in
> several languages).

Yep, that's what I was using lately, us + compose key.
I just found 3 keys too painful : é à and ç are directly available on the
azerty layout, and are quite frequently needed.
Now I have them available with two keys : altgr+w, altgr+a, altgr+c, which is
still practical.

But indeed, the compose key would be very useful for writing a wide range of
characters that are not too frequent.