Re: [dwm] dynamic nmaster proposal

From: y i y u s <yiyu.jgl_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:59:48 +0200

2007/10/18, Tuncer Ayaz <tuncer.ayaz_AT_gmail.com>:
> On 10/17/07, pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com> wrote:
> > Thinking about the most useful use-cases for the nmaster tiling I got
> > the conclussion that the only usable configurations are:
> >
> > +----+----+ +----+----+
> > | | | |----| |
> > +----|----+ 2/2 | |----| 3/2
> > | | | |----| |
> > +----+----+ +----+----+
> >
> > +----+----+ +----+----+
> > | |____| |____|----|
> > +----+ | 2/3 |____|----| 3/4
> > | |----| | |----|
> > +----+----+ +----+----+
> >
> > We can get the conclussion that the only sense configuration is to
> > keep three (as maximum) clients tiled in the master area.
> >
> > The most used (for me is the 2/3 and 3/4 configuration). The 2/2 one
> > is as useful as the 3/3 one, but no more than 3. So the 22 and 33
> > configurations are really close to the grid layout.
> >
> > It is relatively easy to modify the nmaster.c patch to make it
> > dinamically change the nmaster value depending on these preferences.
> >
> > Now I'm at work and can't test anything until the night.
> >
> > But I think that in this way we can reduce the user interaction
> > when using the nmaster layout.
> >
> > Let me know about your ideas and the way you use this patch.
>
> The only way I need nmaster is this
>
> +---------+
> | | terminal
> +---------+
> | | terminal
> +---------+
>
> I set it to 2. that's all.

In bwm, the nmaster feature was changed by a toggle between 1, 2 or 3
clients. I never missed anything. But I'd like to make it clear that
besides I found this user interface more comfortable it didn't remove
any complexity from the code, though this way (and pancake way, of
course) could be the way to go. I also was thinking in something like
a condition to have always more clients in the stack area than in the
master one, but never implemented it because I thought that though in
theory it looked good it wouldn't have much practical usage Just my 2
cents.

grits,

--
- yiyus || JGL .