Re: [dwm] RESIZEHINTS broken?

From: Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 21:45:37 +0200

pancake dixit (2007-10-23, 17:10):

> > I think the following might be a good solution for 4.6 and
> > later:
> >
> > - Removing the RESIZEHINTS at all - this enforces my st
> > development as well. The new algorithm prevents the gaps quite
> > well.
>
> I agree. i have never found useful RESIZEHINTS. imho is useless code

I'm happily using RESIZEHINTS with urxvt to avoid the redraw bug that
has been discussed here a number of times. I don't mind the little extra
space around my terminal windows, actually it doesn't really matter
whether I have the extra space outside the window or inside the window
(between the last row/column of text and bottom/right window border).
Either way there's space wasted and at least in my case there's not
bugs.

I reckon it looks good too. So my vote is no.

> I like to see all windows tiled to fit the whole space they can. This
> is why it's called 'tiling'. Having blank spaces between windows is
> strange and noisy.

Tiling does *not* have to mean without any pixels in between. It's just
an idea of using as much space as possible (which happens to change in
large steps for text terminals). If you look at the tiles in my
bathroom, there's about 2mm space between them :).

> The only logical place i can imagine for it is for the floating terminals.

This would be unorthogonal. Nobody forces anyone to use the feature. But
I'm sure there's a number of users that find it sensible.

Best,

--
[a]