Re: [dwm] Taglayouts poll

From: Chris Webb <chris_AT_arachsys.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:30:13 +0000

Kai Grossjohann <kai_AT_emptydomain.de> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 05:09:06PM +0100, Chris Webb wrote:
>
> > One completely different approach to implementing multiple layouts in a
> > pure tagging context is to introduce a new layout index, completely
> > independent of the tag toggles. In the same way you can view() or
> > toggleview() a tag at present, you could select() by index a particular
> > set of layout parameters. You'd need to display the selected layout as
> > well as the selected tags in the status bar, or it would rapidly become
> > very confusing. This would be interesting to try and I confess I haven't
> > tried it. However, I suspect in my normal usage it would just replace one
> > keystroke with two.
>
> I think you can have one key execute two actions, by adding two lines
> for the same key into the keybindings.
>
> Then folks who like it can bind keys that do view() followed by
> select().

While we're examining the solution space, I'll point out that it's a
small step from doing this sort of layout indexing to completely
replacing the single workspace with multiple workspaces. Windows would
belong to tags as in standard dwm, each workspace having a set of
selected tags (not necessary disjoint) as well as their own independent
layout and parameters. Finally, a status bar of the form

  WORKSPACES LAYOUT TAGS TITLE MESSAGE

would be needed, rather than dwm's

  TAGS LAYOUT TITLE MESSAGE

One might then switch between different workspaces for different jobs,
and mix in and out tags full of windows within a particular job.

Initialisation is an issue here: what tags are present in each workspace
at startup? Just the first tag in each? Just tag i % k in workspace i?
There's no canonical choice as far as I can see, which is untidy.

Cheers,

Chris.