Re: [dwm] Tell that your students...

From: Szabolcs Nagy <nszabolcs_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 17:16:33 +0200

i didn't really get your point but i answered nevertheless

On 11/4/07, lordkrandel_AT_gmail.com <lordkrandel_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Macromedia Flash is not a new browser, just a plugin.
> Still, it revolutions internet applications.
> (I am still dreaming of a portable OpenGL VM for web apps)
don't do that (web is for text)

flash is the definitive example of a wrong development direction
[layers and layers and ... of obfuscated api's]

(flash is running in a browser the browser is runing in an os and they
solve the problem that can be solved by 1970's technology: simple
interactive application, and now we do all this in a way that a dual
core cpu has hard time to deliver)

> The article mentions Perl, C, C++, but there are plenty of
> unknown/known non-commercial languages out there. PHP, D, E,
> Ruby, Python, Java, Autohotkey, LISP, Haskell, TCL ...

the article is still right, in system programming the software part
hasn't changed much (good god they don't write device drivers in php)

also languages haven't changed much: c rules the world
there are many possible direction to develop: better memory management
solutions, functional programming, declarative programming, high level
abstractions, stack-oriented programming, ...
to exploit these ideas new hw and os is needed (eg posix is bound to
c) and better compilers (eg haskell compilers are still not clever
enough to generate as fast code as gcc)

the current solution is to build upon the old stuff (yes when you
'read' from a 'file' in eg. python then you use the posix interface,
it's just a bit nicer syntax)

it can be good (compatibility) and bad (old and ugly layers which we
try to hide)