Re: [dwm] wiki front

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 13:19:05 +0100

On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 12:13:28PM +0100, Alessandro Dotti Contra wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 11:46:22AM +0100, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> |
> |Ahrgl, I'm a moron ;) I just have a deeper look on it, because
> |it supports markdown out of the box...
>
> Another good thing about ikiwiki is that you can restyle your web site
> really easily by just changing a couple of template files. So if you get
> bored of what your web site looks like - something that happens to me
> quite frequently :) - you don't have to start again from scratch.

I gave ikiwiki a try and it was quite easy to convert all diri
pages in a couple of minutes. However, ikiwiki seems to be quite
complex for the purpose it does (approx. 10kSLOC). It does
various things right, but the implementation is really
questionable from my perspective.

diri has been designed with my observation, that traditional
wiki implementations suffer from a simple way to browse all
pages. Mostly this thing is up to all authors of individual
pages (they have to add links to other pages) - or to the author
of a navigation page. In diri I replaced this whole process with
dynamically creating the menu index depending on the path which
is browsed. Hence an author must only think about a
tree-grouping where his page fits best, e.g.
dwm/pages/funky_new_patch

I noticed that also in diri certain decisions suffer from
drawbacks. Actually diri doesn't stores files in a version
control system, which I like about diri. Besides this, diri
depends on p9p, which is quite a heavy weight dependency for a
collection of rc scripts consisting of <500 LOC all together.
Third, diri makes it quite complicated to change the look and
feel of a web site.

I think the effort to reimplement diri from scratch with certain
new ideas I got when checking out the ikiwiki thing, is about
similiar high than customising ikiwiki to fit in a way I'd like
to see the suckless.org page. Hence I decide for a new
implementation, consisting of C tools and some sh scripts which
glue the stuff together.

Regards,