Re: [dwm] cpt alternative proposal

From: Robert Figura <nc-figuraro_AT_netcologne.de>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 14:03:18 +0100

pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com> wrote:
> My idea is to mix cpt and rfigura-stack patch in this way:
>
> ^w = clientspertag("^2")
>
> +-----+----+ +-----+----+ +-----+----+
> | | | | | | | | |
> | +----+ > ^w > | | | > ^w > | +----+
> | | | |_____|____| | | |
> +-----+----+ +----------+ +-----+----+
>
> ^e = clientspertag("^3")
>
> +-----+----+ +-----+----+ +-----+----+
> | |----| | | | | |----|
> | |----| > ^e > | +----+ > ^e > | |----|
> | |----| |_____|____| | |----|
> +-----+----+ +-----+----+ +-----+----+
>
> This way non-visible windows are stacked in the bottom of the screen, so they
> still being visible and you can focus them and zoom them as in any other mode.

I used a hack to implement quickly that bottom placement. I'm not happy
with it for my version but you could take advantage of it. It works like
this:

Dwm's global variables wax, way, waw and wah specify the usable portion
for the tile function. So just hack the global arrange() function to
call a function which: Saves wax...wah, uses some space, updates
wax...wah to limit the area to be further used, call
layouts[ltidx]->arrange(), reverts wax...wah from saved.

This is hacking strategy: Less changes, less beauty :-/

For your idea you'd also need to control which clients are to be shown
in ->arrange(). I guess your cpt aleady accomplishes this.

> I don't have much time these days..so, if you want porting the nmaster+stack
> patch as a new mode for dwm (or just patch my nmaster-4.7.c) feel free to do it. :)

You can do it :*)

Regards
  Robert Figura

--