Re: [dwm] [ANNOUNCE] dvtm-0.2

From: Christian Garbs <mitch_AT_cgarbs.de>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 23:47:01 +0100

On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 10:15:56PM +0100, Marc Andre Tanner wrote:

> I have released dvtm-0.2, it no longer depends on librote instead it
> includes madtty which has better terminal emulation support.
> So you only need a curses library to build dvtm.

Not needing librote let me give it a try - and it's great!

I have a genuine serial terminal here that I put into use for reading
mail etc. and dvtm works great on it. It also remedies two things
that were quite annoying until now (not even using screen did help):

 * rtorrent immediately crashed when it is exposed to my $TERM (even
   when it was started with TERM=xterm and reattached via screen)

 * ee was the only editor that did not mess up my terminal

Thanks to dvtm I can now use jmacs or emacs on the terminal!

Because the terminal is b/w only, I can't see which client is
selected. The attached quick patch fixes this problem for me.
Perhaps using double-lines or light/dark text for the borders would
also work, but I don't know a thing about ncureses - well, apart from
the box() and wborder() functions, but I googled that 5 minutes ago :-)

I'm looking forward to future versions of dvtm.

Regards,
Christian

--
....Christian.Garbs.....................................http://www.cgarbs.de
Gates' Law: Every 18 months, the speed of software halves.