Re: [dwm] Xinerama support

From: Kai Grossjohann <kai_AT_emptydomain.de>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:01:53 +0100

Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> One problem with using a subset of your tags for a different
> screen occures, if a window is tagged with a tag from one screen
> and with another tag from a different screen. We cannot display
> a window on two screens, at least not mirrored (Xinerama allows
> to display portions of windows on different screens however) ;)
IMHO this is a non-problem. If the tags say that a window should be
visible on more than one head, then just display it on one of those
heads and omit it on the others. Who needs to see the same window twice?

Of course, that opens the question of which head to choose, but I
believe that a very simplistic approach of assigning a global order to
the heads would suffice. Make that order configurable.

There is only one situation where I imagine that the user might be
surprised: Say the left head displays tags l1 and l2, and the right head
displays r1 and r2. And the window has tags l1 and r1. Say that the
left head is preferred.

So the window is displayed on the left head. Suppose the user then
removes the tag l1 from the left head. This means that the window will
jump to the right head. This jumping of windows might be surprising.

But I do not consider this a major hindrance.

Kai