Re: [dwm] idesk + DWM

From: Amit Uttamchandani <atu13439_AT_csun.edu>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 15:29:59 -0800

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 18:02:57 -0500
"Jeremy O'Brien" <obrien654j_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, a potential problem I see already is the desktop being covered by all
> the tiled windows that they'd want to open. One window open, desktop is
> gone. I suppose you could do floating mode by default, but that would
> somewhat defeat the purpose of using dwm... If you're really dead-set on
> doing it though, idesk would more than likely work. I hope your parents are
> good with computers though! :-D

Yes you are right. As soon as I posted the email I remembered that the whole desktop will be covered!

But I guess there is a way around this. There could be a tag 'apps' and this tag will not have any applications open in it. So let's say they click on firefox. It launches it on a tag called 'web'. Then they launch pidgin or amarok, which would then open up on tags 'chat' and 'music' respectively. In the meanwhile, they can easily go back to the 'apps' tag if they want to launch other apps or log out.

It might work ;)

And no my parents are not good with computers at all ;) should be interesting..